Thursday, August 28, 2008

When your helping your happy


So I had my official orientation at the Humane Society of Utah to become a volunteer. I am pretty excited, though it is mixed with nerves. Basically I can go whenever I want (as long as I work 8 hours a month), and do a variety of jobs/chores. I know it will be a hard thing to do, seeing so many cute babies without homes, but I believe it will also be very rewarding. I hear that people that volunteer their time to help others are happier, I will let you know!

There was a boy there (he was probably about 10) with his mom, and he seemed really excited as he was filling out the application. Then, as we were taking the tour of the place, his excitement seemed to diminish. In the area where the large dogs are kenneled (pretty sure that is where my time will be spent) it smells like shit! Literally! He was so disgusted that he walked through with his shirt over his nose and mouth. I guess I won't be seeing him too much!

They gave each volunteer a packet that explains the jobs that need to be done to keep the place running on a daily basis. Also in the packet were tips for recognizing when a cat is about to attack you, how to read their mood based on the position of their tails, and such. there was another one for dogs, but because dogs are so much more expressive (with their ears, teeth, growl, bark and tail) it was pretty self explanatory. They gave us quite a lot of informaiton, and I think I am actually more prepared to do that job after an hour than I am to do my real job... but that is another story for another day.

2 comments:

Downhilldiva said...

Wow! You are a wonderful person. I'm okay with feeding the homeless because I'm never tempted to take them home. . . but cute doggies. . I would be in trouble.

Unknown said...

You are a strong one! I would have the hardest time doing that! Poor dogs, and cats too. Congrats though, that is awesome.