Monday, December 15, 2008

Chaos and fur ...

So somehow, I became the crazy dog lady. I know, I know, I did it to myself, when we got Jersey, but who knew my house would turn into a revolving door of dogs?

When we got Jersey I was scared to death of the responsibility that I had paid $50 for(initially, hundreds no thousands have been paid on behalf of this dog). I figured that if it didn't work out, I could find a nice home for her, or at least give her to a shelter. WRONG! That fuzzy little thing worked her way into my heart and into my clothes (her dog hair is EVERYWHERE) and we have been stuck with her ever since! She has seriously changed my life in a way that I am sure children do for those willing to bear them. I stopped eating yummy meat because of this dog, not that I ever ate dog, but ... well, it is a long story of animal suffering.

Anyway, onto the kennel that I apparently run. It started innocently enough when we still lived in our condo in South Salt Lake. Our downstairs neighbors, Steve and Stacy, had the nicest black lab that Jersey looked up to, and would have dated if they had the money, so cute. They offered to watch Jersey while we were out of town, and vice versa. Perfect arrangement because their dog, Kenu, was an angel. We totally got the better end of the deal on that one. Since then, we have had many four legged friends come through our door, most of which Jersey has managed to get along with or at least tolerate. She is usually able to establish her dominance within the first couple of minutes and we have no problems(she is my dog after all). This week we are watching, for the 3rd time, Copper, the 8 month old bloodhound. I would think that by now they had established their relationship, but apparently it will always be a tumultuous one. This dog is relentless and will not give up on trying to get Jersey to play with him. Jersey, being the old bitch that she is, wants nothing to do with him. It turns into doggie chaos.

The problem is probably me, I love dogs and I know that they are well taken care of when they are at my house. I don't want to have to kennel Jersey when we go out of town, so I am always willing to watch every ones dogs so that the favor is returned.

Sadly, I am actually glad to be at work today, because the alternative is yelling "shut up" 50 times an hour at two dogs refusing to listen to me. Sigh!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's amazing how fast dogs get bitchy. Sadie is the same way w/my parent's puppy. You are a good dog mom, you always make me feel guilty.